Wednesday, September 1, 2021
Over the last few years, there has been an influx of athletes, musicians, and other celebrities who have died without an effective estate plan. The news stories covering the family battles over these estates, although entertaining, can be quite terrifying.
Whether you are a famous celebrity or an "regular" person, here are some good reasons to complete an estate plan and avoid dying testate.
- It will be easier for family members to help you in a crisis
- It saves family members from playing detective
- It can save you—and your family members—time and money
- It can ensure that your assets are disposed of the way YOU choose
- It can help minimize, or even eliminate, certain taxes
"A good estate plan is a lot like flood insurance—if you don't have it when you need it, it's too late. . ."
See Cheryl A. Jones, Esquire, What Celebrities Who Have Died Without a Will Have Taught Us , Pessin Katz Law Firm, August 25, 2021.
Special thanks to Jim Hillhouse (Professional Legal Marketing (PLM, Inc.)) for bringing this article to my attention.