Friday, May 10, 2019
The American Law Institute is holding a webcast entitled, Qualified Opportunity Funds and Opportunity Zones: What Estate Planners Need to Know, on Thursday, May 30, 2019, 12:00 to 1:30 pm Eastern. Provided below is a description of the event.
Why You Should Attend
The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act includes a new tax incentive provision that is intended to promote investment in economically distressed communities, referred to as "Opportunity Zones." Through this program, investors can achieve significant tax benefits: deferral of gain on the disposition of property to an unrelated person until December 31, 2026 so long as the gain is reinvested in a Qualified Opportunity Fund (QOF); elimination of up to 15% of that gain; and potential elimination of tax on gains associated with the appreciation in value of a QOF.
This webcast, taught by highly-experienced estate planning practitioners and Fellows of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), will focus on the critical tax rules that you need to know in advising your clients on investing in and establishing QOFs. Particular emphasis will be placed on the estate planning challenges and opportunities that can be presented through such investments.
What You Will Learn
- The income tax consequences resulting from the death of a taxpayer who has deferred gain through a timely reinvestment of such gain in a QOF
- The consequences resulting from the gift of an interest in a QOF including with respect to the tacking of holding periods
- The impact of holding QOF investments through grantor trusts, and whether the ordinary tax rules involving grantor including Rev. Rul. 85-13 apply in the context of QOFs as well
- The application of the 180-day period for rollover of gain to a QOF in the case of partners, S corporation shareholders, and beneficiaries of estates and trusts, and the special timing concerns that may arise in the context of trusts and estates
- Non-tax considerations relating to QOFs, including fiduciary duties and investment related considerations
- Estate planning applications and considerations
All registrants will receive a set of downloadable course materials to accompany the program.
Who Should Attend
Any estate planner with a client interested in investing in Opportunity Zones and QOFs should attend this webcast from ALI CLE and ACTEC.