Wednesday, February 25, 2009
The written materials from the Estate Planning & Community Property Law Journal Seminar 2009 are now available for purchase for $50 from The Estate Planning & Community Property Law Journal by contacting Donna Jones. Purchase of the materials also includes a subscription to Volume 1, a $35 value Here is a listing of topics covered at the seminar:.
- “Project Runaway—One Day You’re In as the Attorney and the Next Day You’re Out!” by Sharon Gardner; Shareholder; Crain, Caton & James, P.C.; Houston, Texas.
- “Cryopreserved Sperm and the Shortcomings of Probate Law.” by Ben Major; Staff Editor; Estate Planning & Community Property Law Journal.
- “To Affirmatively Disclose or to Passively Disclose, that is the Texas Trustee's Question: What Duty of Disclosure Does a Texas Trustee Owe to a Beneficiary?” by Frank Messina; Comment Editor; Estate Planning & Community Property Law Journal.
- “Courthouse Morals and Legislative Expectations: A Review of Recent Cases and Proposed Legislation Impacting Texas Estate Planners.” by Gerry W. Beyer; Governor Preston E. Smith Regents Professor of Law; Texas Tech University School of Law.
- “Is the Wind Mine to Give Away? Guidance for Testators Wishing to Transfer a Wind Interest in Jurisdictions that have not Recognized Wind as a Property Right.” by Chris Hartman; Staff Editor; Estate Planning & Community Property Law Journal.
- "An Arm and a Van Gogh: Selling Art Collections from Charitable Contributions for Capital Gain is a High Price to Pay.” by Megan Loving; Staff Editor; Estate Planning & Community Property Law Journal.
- “Tricks and Traps in the Land of Enchantment: New Mexico Probate, Community Property, and Trust Issues for Texas Attorneys.” by Scotty Holloman; Shareholder; Maddox, Holloman & Kirksey, P.C.; Hobbs, New Mexico.
- “On Death and Dying: Counseling the Terminally Ill Client and the Loved Ones Left Behind.” by Associate Judge Georgia H. Akers; Harris County Probate Court No. 3; Houston, Texas.
- “Valuation Discounts—The Good and the Bad.” by Charles King; Shareholder; Sprouse Shrader Smith P.C.; Amarillo, Texas.
- “The Socially Endorsed, Legally Framed, Normative Template: What Have In Re Marriage Cases Really Done for Same-Sex Marriage?” by Meghan McCalla; Articles Editor; Estate Planning & Community Property Law Journal.
- Dynamics of Estate Planning for the Family and Family Business - Grantor Trusts (GRATS vs. IDGTS): Do You Digit, or Do You GRAT?” Jeff Myers; Shareholder; Bourland, Wall & Wenzel, P.C.; Fort Worth, Texas.