Saturday, August 23, 2008
Here is how this strange set of events unfolded according to Lawyers Accused Of Stealing From Murder Victim's Estate, CBS46.com, Aug. 22, 2008:
- Debra Post allegedly murdered her husband, Jerry Post, in 2002.
- Debra hired Candice Rader and Valerie Cooke to defend her.
- As payment for their services, Candice and Valerie accepted assets valued at over $320,000 from Debra to which Debra was not entitled because of the slayer statute (that is, proceeds of Jerry's life insurance and some real property).
- Subsequently, Debra pled guilty to felony murder and was sentenced to life without parole.
- A Douglas County Georgia grand jury indicted Candice and Valerie on August 21, 2008 for knowingly taking assets which were "covered" by the slayer statute.
- The attorneys were arrested and taken to jail.