Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Stephanie West Allen has authored a book entitled Creating Your Own Funeral Or Memorial Service: A Workbook. Ms. Allen describes the book as follows:
This upbeat and practical workbook helps anyone to design a unique end-of-life service for him- or herself. Creating your own funeral or memorial service has many benefits, no matter your age or state of health:
- You relieve those you leave behind of many decisions during their time of grief.
- You give the bereaved the emotional satisfaction of knowing they are carrying out your wishes.
- You may open up new areas of discussion with your family.
- You are able to create an event that truly reflects your life.
- Reviewing your life for the purpose of creating the service allows you to evaluate how you want to use your future.
- And this gentle reminder of your mortality has an effect on your decisions about today.
The workbook is very thorough. It helps you to make the many choices necessary to designing your funeral or memorial service. Sections include: a funeral or a memorial service?, your body, the role of the funeral director, music, readings, eulogy, passing on roles, life storytelling, plants and flowers, ceremony, program, dress, procession, location, guest book, memory display, altar, photos, invitations, potential difficult situations, and cost.
Follow this link to read the Introduction entitled Why Would I Want To Create My Own Funeral?