Tuesday, October 26, 2021
The First Amendment Coalition (FAC) seeks applicants to join our growing team for a full-time legal fellowship for one year, with the possibility of renewal for a second year. We seek a highly motivated lawyer with excellent credentials and a demonstrated interest in the relevant areas of law.
The Legal Fellow will work with FAC’s Executive Director and Litigation Director to expand FAC’s strategic litigation program and our ability to provide expert legal assistance to working journalists and others, with a particular focus on those in traditionally underserved communities. FAC’s legal work is focused on enhancing public access to federal, state and local government records and proceedings and protecting the First Amendment rights of free speech and press. FAC also works to provide legal assistance to journalists served with subpoenas for their confidential sources and notes.
The Legal Fellow’s duties will include:
(1) researching, drafting, submitting, and following up on requests for government records under the California Public Records Act and the federal Freedom of Information Act;
(2) identifying, formulating and helping to bring cases in state and federal courts seeking access to government meetings and records, as well as to court proceedings and records;
(3) organizing, researching and drafting amicus briefs, and screening amicus briefs that FAC is asked to join;
(4) helping locate and then assisting pro bono counsel to represent subpoenaed journalists;
(6) other tasks to support FAC’s legal work.
The Legal Fellow must:
(1) have a J.D. from a U.S. accredited law school and have excellent academic credentials.
(2) show a demonstrated interest in First Amendment law and/or FOIA and other access laws. A background in journalism is a plus.
(3) be a self-starter and detail-oriented, with the ability to work collegially and collaboratively on a small staff.
(4) have strong research, analytical and legal writing skills.
It is preferred that the Legal Fellow have one or more years of legal experience working in the relevant legal areas, in a judicial clerkship, law firm, or non-profit organization. California bar membership is required, though FAC will consider recent graduates who have applied for membership to the California bar or attorneys licensed elsewhere who are willing to apply for California bar membership.
We will consider candidates who are able to work remotely only but will give preference to candidates who are, or can be, based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and are able to work in FAC’s offices in San Rafael depending on the state of public health in 2022.
FAC is committed to a diverse and inclusive staff, one that reflects the state and country we serve. Freedom of information, expression, and of the press are universal ideals but diversity of life experiences can make a big difference in how FAC identifies and litigates legal issues, serves our varied constituencies, and arrives at policy positions on the rights and ideals we care about. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants who can bring different perspectives and experiences to better inform our work promoting and defending free expression, a free press and the public’s right to know.
This is a full-time position.
Applicants are encouraged to submit materials as soon as possible; applications are preferred by November 24.
San Rafael, California.
$75,000-$85,000 depending on experience. Includes health benefits and eligibility for FAC’s 403(b) retirement plan, including a 5% employer match.
Late summer/early fall 2022.
How to apply:
Apply through the link on this page. Application materials are not accepted via email.
If you have any questions regarding FAC’s Legal Fellow position or the application process, please email email@example.com.