Monday, March 13, 2023
Symposium on Concluding the Restatement (Third) of Torts at Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles
On Friday, March 24, the Southwestern Law Review and Southwestern's Panish Civil Justice Program invite you to attend an in-person symposium on Concluding the Restatement (Third) of Torts, co-sponsored by the American Law Institute. The symposium will take place at Southwestern Law School in its historic landmark Bullocks Wilshire building in Los Angeles.
Professor Christopher Robinette and I have been organizing the symposium, and we are excited about the remarkable gathering of nationally leading tort litigation scholars, practitioners, and judges at the symposium. Among the esteemed speakers are four Reporters and fourteen Advisers for the Restatement, three of the top ten most cited torts faculty in the U.S., and one of the top ten most cited civil procedure faculty in the U.S. Speakers also include the leading proponent of tort reform in the U.S., and the leading scholar of feminist legal theory in tort law in the U.S. The symposium will open with remarks by Justice Goodwin Liu, Associate Justice of the California Supreme Court and Member of the Council of the American Law Institute, and Judge Kevin Brazile, Member of the Judicial Council of California and former Presiding Judge of the Superior Court of California for Los Angeles County, will speak on the final panel of the day. The keynote luncheon address will be delivered by Brian Panish, Founding Partner of Panish Shea Boyle Ravipudi LLP, who was named one of the Top 10 Super Lawyers in Southern California for 2023, who recently served as lead plaintiffs' trial counsel in securing a $1.8 billion settlement in the Porter Ranch/Aliso Canyon Gas Well Blowout Litigation, and who represents the family of the cinematographer fatally shot by Alec Baldwin on the movie set of "Rust."
Participants in the symposium include the following:
- Mark Behrens, Co-Chair, Public Policy Group and Partner, Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.;
- Judge Kevin Brazile, Judge of the Superior Court of Los Angeles County, Member of the Judicial Council of California, and Former Presiding Judge of the Superior Court of Los Angeles County;
- Martha Chamallas, Robert J. Lynn Chair in Law, Ohio State University Moritz College of Law;
- Darby Dickerson, President, Dean, and Professor of Law, Southwestern Law School;
- James Fischer, Professor of Law, Southwestern Law School;
- Nora Freeman Engstrom, Ernest W. McFarland Professor of Law and Co-Director of the Deborah Rhode Center on the Legal Profession, Stanford Law School;
- Mark Geistfeld, Sheila Lubetsky Birnbaum Professor of Civil Litigation, New York University School of Law;
- Michael Green, Mel and Pam Visiting Professor of Law, Washington University in St. Louis School of Law;
- Mark Hall, Fred and Elizabeth Turnage Professor of Law and Director of the Health Law and Policy Program, Wake Forest University School of Law;
- Deborah Hensler, Judge John W. Ford Professor of Dispute Resolution, Stanford Law School;
- Keith Hylton, William Fairfield Warren Distinguished Professor of Law, Boston University School of Law;
- Richard Jolly, Associate Professor of Law, Southwestern Law School;
- Gregory Keating, William T. Dales Professor of Law and Philosophy, University of Southern California Gould School of Law;
- Nina A. Kohn, David M. Levy L'48 Professor of Law and Faculty Director of Online Education, Syracuse University College of Law;
- Justice Goodwin Liu, Associate Justice, California Supreme Court;
- Brian Panish, Founding Partner, Panish Shea Boyle Ravipudi LLP;
- Philip G. Peters, Jr., Ruth J. Hulston Professor Emeritus of Law, University of Missouri School of Law;
- Christopher Robinette, Professor of Law, Southwestern Law School;
- Victor Schwartz, Co-Chair, Public Policy Group and Partner, Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.;
- Anthony Sebok, Professor of Law, Yeshiva University Cardozo School of Law;
- Catherine Sharkey, Segal Family Professor Regulatory Law and Policy, New York University School of Law;
- Kenneth Simons, Chancellor's Professor of Law, University of California, Irvine School of Law;
- Byron Stier, Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives, Director of Civil Litigation and Advocacy Concentration, and Professor of Law, Southwestern Law School;
- David Studdert, Senior Associate Vice Provost for Research, Professor of Health Policy and Professor of Law, Stanford Law School; and
- Adam Zimmerman, Professor of Law and Gerald Rosen Fellow, Loyola Los Angeles Law School.
Seating is limited; registration is available now at the link above. For those interested, the symposium will offer 6 hours of MCLE credit for attendees.