Sunday, May 9, 2021
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Pennsylvania State University's Dickinson Law School invites applications for tenure-track faculty position expected to begin July 1, 2021. We welcome candidates with outstanding academic credentials, practice experience, and/or judicial clerkship experience. This position may be filled at the Associate Professor or Assistant Professor level. The appointment will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s current rank, title, education, and experience.
Dickinson Law strongly encourages applicants who would enrich the diversity of our academic community to apply. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion throughout the university, see: Penn State Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at http://equity.psu.edu/psu-diversity-statement.
The legal writing program at Penn State Dickinson Law is designed to help students develop essential lawyering skills. The program consists of a comprehensive two-semester sequence focused on building the legal research, analysis, and writing skills used in today's law practice. Classes meet in small sections led by experienced full-time faculty who are at the forefront of trends in legal writing and research. Responsibilities include:
- Teaching courses related to legal writing, reasoning, analysis, and critical thinking
- Providing service to the law school and the University
- Participating in the larger community for legal research and writing professionals by publishing scholarship, regularly attending and/or presenting at conferences, and pursuing other relevant endeavors to support the faculty member’s professional development
- A J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- License to practice law in any U.S. state or the District of Columbia is highly valued
- Prior legal practice experience, including judicial clerkships
- Law school achievements and accomplishments, including high academic achievement, law review, moot court, and/or mock trial
- Articulable commitment to the field of legal research and writing, including implementing the best models and practices to teach in this field and incorporating recent developments in legal pedagogy
- Demonstrable recent successful experience in teaching legal research and writing
- Experience with or interest in teaching using online platforms
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including effective presentation skills
- Effective interpersonal communication skills with various constituencies
- Demonstrable successful experience working independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrable sensitivity to various student learning styles
- Demonstrable successful experience mentoring and working with students from diverse backgrounds
Applications may be submitted here: https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Academic/job/Dickinson-Law-Carlisle/Assistant-Associate-Professor_REQ_0000012497-2. Inquiries may be sent to the Chair of the Appointments Committee, Professor Medha Makhlouf, through Anne Porter at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, submit a letter and curriculum vitae.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hat tip to Prof. Medha Makhlouf