Monday, October 15, 2018
Professor Terrill Pollman of the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas has been named as the recipient of the 2019 Thomas F. Blackwell Memorial Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Legal Writing.
The award is jointly conferred by the Association of Legal Writing Directors (ALWD) and the Legal Writing Institute (LWI) to recognize a person who has made an outstanding contribution to improve the field of Legal Writing by demonstrating:
- an ability to nurture and motivate students to excellence;
- a willingness to help other legal writing educators improve their teaching skills or their legal writing programs; and
- an ability to create and integrate new ideas for teaching and motivating legal writing educators and students.
This Blackwell Award honors the late Professor Thomas Blackwell (Appalachian Law School), who was killed by a disturbed student in January 2002. Professor Blackwell was an active member of both the Association of Legal Writing Directors and the Legal Writing Institute, and the organizations joined together to present the award in his memory. The award in the past has included a desk lamp, a symbol of the light that Tom Blackwell shed on his students and a reminder of his penchant for lightbulb jokes. [How many legal writing teachers does it take to change a lightbulb? We wish that we had the resources to change the lightbulb.]
Professor Pollman will join this list of 16 previous recipients of the Blackwell Award:
- 2019: Terrill Pollman, University of Nevada at Las Vegas
- 2018: Ian Gallacher, Syracuse University College of Law
- 2017: Melissa H. Weresh, Drake University
- 2016: Coleen Miller Barger, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, William H. Bowen School of Law.
- 2015: Helene Shapo, Northwestern University
- 2014: Jan Levine, Duquesne University School of Law
- 2013: Judy Stinson, Arizona State University
- 2012: Suzanne Rowe, University of Oregon
- 2011: Carol McCrehan Parker, University of Tennessee
- 2010: Steve Johansen, Lewis & Clark
- 2009: Linda Edwards, Mercer Law
- 2008: Diana Pratt, Wayne State University
- 2007: Louis Sirico, Villanova Law School
- 2006: Mary Beth Beazley, The Ohio State University (now at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas)
- 2005: Ralph Brill, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- 2004: Pam Lysaght, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
- 2003: Richard K. Neumann, Hofstra University
Professor Pollman was on the founding faculty of the law school at UNLV. She teaches in the areas of Lawyering Process, Persuasion, Negotiation, and Leadership and Law. She is a past president of the Association of Legal Writing Directors and the Managing Editor of the Journal of the Legal Writing Institute. Her scholarship focuses on legal writing, pedagogy and rhetoric. She is an author of Examples and Explanations: Legal Writing. She graduated from the University of Arizona College of Law where she was an articles editor of the Arizona Law Review and an Ares Fellow. She also directed legal writing programs at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Stetson University College of Law.
The Blackwell Award Reception will be held at in New Orleans, Louisiana, on Friday evening, January 4, 2019 during the annual meeting of the Association of American Law Schools (AALS). You do not need to register for the AALS Annual Meeting in order to attend the Blackwell Award Reception.
Hat tips to Jodi L. Wilson, President of ALWD, and Kristen K. Tiscione, President of LWI.