Tuesday, November 25, 2014
The Legal Writing Institute's One Day Workshops offer a fantastic national opportunity for legal writing professors to gather and exchange information not only on the day-to-day topics that confront us in the classroom but also on the larger issues for all legal writing professionals.
San Diego, California, is one of the host cities this year, where an LWI one-day workshop will be hosted by California Western School of Law on Friday, December 5, 2014.
Speakers there will include:
- Dean Niels Schaumann (California Western School of Law)
- David Austin (California Western School of Law)
- Elizabeth Carroll (USC Gould School of Law)
- Maureen Johnson (Loyola Los Angeles)
- Joanne Merino (Stanford Law School)
- Lisa Black (California Western School of Law)
- Charles Calleros (Arizona State University)
- Joe Kimble (Western Michigan University Thomas Cooley Law School) [Winner of the 2010 Lifetime Contribution Award from the AALS Section on Legal Writing Reasoning and Research]
- Julie Ryan (USC Gould School of Law)
- Fiona McKenna (Golden Gate University)
- Tim Casey (California Western School of Law)
- Lance Long (Stetson University College of Law)
- Mark E. Wojcik (The John Marshall Law School-Chicago) [Winner of the 2015 Lifetime Contribution Award from the AALS Section on Legal Writing, Reasoning, and Research]
Registration for the One-Day Workshop is an extremely reasonable $45.00 (with discounts for speakers and host school attendees). Click here for more information and for the registration link.
The Sheraton Four Points, 1617 First Ave., San Diego, CA 619-239-9600 · 866-716-8133, is located one block from California Western School of Law. Discounted rooms are available for this conference, please reference California Western when making your reservation. The room rate is $99 per night (plus 12.5% tax and fees) Thurs., Dec. 4th & 5th. A free airport shuttle to and from the hotel is available daily from 7:00 am to 10:00 p.m., and the hotel is then only a three-minute walk from the school.
The Westgate Hotel, 1055 Second Ave., San Diego, CA 619-238-1818· 800-221-3802, is located in the heart of downtown San Diego near the Gaslamp nightlife area, approximately four blocks from the Law School. Discounted rooms are available by using the reference California Western and the number 308649 when making your reservation. The room rate is $149 per night (plus 12.5% tax and resort fees) (10 minute walk from the school).
Other hotels are of course available, including one on Sunset Cliffs in Ocean Beach (not far from where the picture above was taken).
Hat tips to the Legal Writing Department at California Western School of Law