Sunday, January 21, 2018
Here are the details:
Georgia State University
College of Law
2018 Clinical Faculty Recruitment
HeLP Legal Services Clinic
Georgia State University’s College of Law seeks highly qualified applicants for a full-time clinical faculty position in its interdisciplinary Health Law Partnership (HeLP) Legal Services Clinic. The successful candidate may also be appointed as Director of the Health Law Partnership. Launched in 2004, HeLP is a community-based medical-legal collaboration among the law school, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, and the Atlanta Legal Aid Society (see www.healthlawpartnership.org). HeLP provides legal assistance to low-income families and their children who are patients at Children’s hospitals on civil matters that have the potential to improve children’s health and quality of life, such as laws related to public benefits, family welfare, housing, education, consumer rights, employment, disability, and permanency planning. The HeLP Clinic, Launched in 2007, teaches interdisciplinary collaborative problem-solving to students of law, medicine, and graduate students of social work, bioethics, and public health (see http://law.gsu.edu/clinics/help-legal-services-clinic/).
Appointment could begin as early as spring 2018. The position is a non-tenure track twelve-month clinical faculty appointment, with faculty status, a renewable contract, and job security commensurate with tenured faculty. Clinical faculty have voting rights and serve on faculty committees at the College of Law. Clinical faculty also teach non-clinic courses consistent with their expertise and interests.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Supervising law students in casework and clinic projects;
- Supervising students from other professions and coordinating with other Georgia State University units and other academic institutions in Atlanta for the participation of non-law graduate students in the HeLP clinic;
- Sharing responsibility for developing and teaching seminar sessions;
- Performing administrative responsibilities associated with the HeLP and HeLP Clinic;
- Overseeing HeLP and related functions, including coordinating with HeLP partners;
- Collaborating with HeLP partners and others in the education of medical and other partners and constituents, and conducting research and policy advocacy consistent with the mission and components of HeLP.
Qualifications for the position include:
- A J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school and a strong academic record;
- Excellent experience in legal practice and lawyering skills;
- Membership in or ability to become a member of the State Bar of Georgia;
- 5 plus years of post-J.D. legal experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and an interest in clinical teaching;
- A proven record of (or clear demonstrated potential for) successful teaching and professional engagement;
- Prior medical, health-related, or legislative and policy experience a plus.
Part of a comprehensive research university, the College of Law is a dynamic urban-centered law school located in the heart of Atlanta with approximately 650 full- and part-time law students. The clinic is located in the Center for Clinical Programs, an in-house suite of clinic offices located in the new college of law building.
We encourage applications from candidates who would diversify our faculty. Georgia State University, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an equal opportunity educational institution and an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. As required by Georgia State University, an appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background investigation.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Complete law school transcript
- At least two letters of reference
- Sample of Written Work (max. 10 pages)
Please submit applications to:
Prof. Leslie Wolf
Director, Center for Law, Health and Society, Center for Law, Health and
Chair, Faculty Recruitment Committee
College of Law, Georgia State University
P.O. Box 4037
Atlanta, GA 30302-4037