Thursday, January 19, 2023
Feb 2 - Disaster Law & Policy: Global Perspectives @ GSU Law
Register for Disaster Law & Policy: Global Perspectives, a virtual (and in person) event on Thursday, February 2nd from 9 am - 2 pm EST celebrating the release of The Cambridge Handbook of Disaster Law and Policy edited by John Marshall (GSU Law), Ryan Rowberry (GSU Law) and Susan Kuo (Univ. of SC). Expert panelists will provide a comprehensive overview of the ways in which laws and policies at every level – public and private – leave us vulnerable to major disaster events. They will also offer legal solutions that governments, nonprofits, businesses, and citizens can pursue to help make communities more resilient.
Please feel free to share this event with your network, faculty colleagues and students. Virtual attendance is free.
Register at: Disaster Law & Policy: Global Perspectives Symposium (touchnet.com)
This event is sponsored by the Center for the Comparative Study of Metropolitan Growth at Georgia State University College of Law. For questions, contact Karen Johnston at [email protected].
The schedule for the day is as follows:
February 2 Agenda
- Registration (coffee and light breakfast), 8:30 – 9:00 am
- Opening remarks, 9:00 - 9:15 am
- Dean LaVonda N. Reed, Georgia State University College of Law
- Session 1, 9:15 - 10:15 am
- Title: Disaster Law & Policy –Perspectives from the Global South
- Moderator: Susan S. Kuo, J.D., Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Professor of Law & Class of 1969 Chair for Teaching Excellence, University of South Carolina School of Law
- Livhuwani David Nemakonde, Ph.D., Associate Professor, North-West University School of Geo- and Spatial Sciences, Potchesfstroom Campus, South Africa
- Romulo Sampaio, SJD, LLM, Professor of Law, Getulio Vargas Foundation (FGV) School of Law, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Break, 10:15 - 10:30 am
- Session 2, 10:30 - 11:30 am
- Title: Disaster Law & Policy– European Perspectives
- Moderator: Ryan Rowberry, J.D., Professor and Janice C. Griffith Chair in Law, Co-Director for the Center for the Comparative Study of Metropolitan Growth, Georgia State University College of Law
- Asli Ceylan Oner, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Izmir University of Economics Department of Architecture, Turkey
- Juli Ponce Sole, Ph.D., Professor of Law, University of Barcelona
- Lunch, 11:45 - 12: 30 pm
- Lunch Speaker, 12:15 - 12:30 pm
- Title: Current Trends in Disaster Law & Policy
- Lisa Grow, J.D., Howard W. Hunter Professor of Law, Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School
- Session 3, 12:45 – 2:00 pm
- Title: Disaster Law & Policy – U.S. Perspectives from the Frontlines
- Moderator: John Travis Marshall, J.D., Associate Professor, Co-Director, Center for the Comparative Study of Metropolitan Growth Georgia State University College of Law
- Arthur C. Nelson, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Urban Planning and Real Estate Development, University of Arizona and Presidential Professor Emeritus of City and Metropolitan Planning, University of Utah
- Edward Thomas, J.D., President Emeritus of the Natural Hazard Mitigation Association and Member of the ABA Disaster Response and Preparedness Committee Mr. Thomas manages a private practice of Law, Edward A. Thomas Esq., LLC.
- Katie Hill, J.D., Research Professional IV, Carl Vinson Institute of Government, University of Georgia