Friday, May 8, 2020
The EEOC has created a new landing page for its COVID response. The EEOC is continuously updating and changing its guidance as the pandemic continues with the last guidance updated yesterday. Here is a summary from the EEOC of the materials available:
- The EEOC's Office of Federal Operations (OFO) issued instructions regarding the processing of federal sector EEO complaints covered by 29 CFR Part 1614. We do not intend this guidance to require any task that would increase risks to the health or safety of federal employees.
- EEOC Chair Janet Dhillon issued a statement about unlawful national origin and race discrimination against Asian Americans and people of Asian descent in the workplace during the pandemic.
- The EEOC posted information to inform the public we are continuing to enforce the nation's employment non-discrimination laws while ensuring that all of our activities are consistent with public health guidelines.
- The EEOC posted a short question and answer document, What You Should Know About COVID-19 and the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and Other EEO Laws, last updated on May 7, 2020.
- The EEOC has provided guidance entitled Pandemic Preparedness in the Workplace and the Americans With Disabilities Act [PDF version] that can help employers implement strategies to navigate the impact of COVID-19 in the workplace. This pandemic publication, written during the prior H1N1 outbreak, is still relevant today and identifies established ADA and Rehabilitation Act principles to answer questions frequently asked about the workplace during a pandemic. It was updated on March 19, 2020 to address examples and information regarding COVID-19; the new information appears in bold.
- To supplement these documents, the EEOC posted a pre-recorded webinar addressing questions arising under any of the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Laws and the COVID-19 pandemic. The video can be seen on YouTube or in the video player below. A transcript of the webinar is also available.
The new landing page is here: https://www.eeoc.gov/coronavirus