Monday, February 15, 2021
The University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law will hold an online symposium this Thursday, February 18, 2021, on the subject of "International Perspectives on the Future of Incarceration." The symposium will be held from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. EST.
- Alexander McLean, Founder and Director-General of Justice Defenders. (Founded in 2007 as the African Prisons Project, Justice Defenders is a registered U.K. charity and U.S. nonprofit with nearly 350 people working in Kenya, Uganda, Sudan, and The Gambia.)
- Prof. em. Dr. jur. Frieder Dünkel, Universität Greifswald (Germany) (Chair of Criminology, 1992-2015)
- Prof. Claudia Mazzucato, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore Dipartimento di Scienze giuridiche, Milan (Italy)
- Prof. Mark E. Wojcik, UIC John Marshall Law School, The University of Illinois at Chicago
- Prof. Regina Austin, University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School
- Prof. Bennett Capers, Fordham University School of Law
- Prof. Alexis Hoag, Columbia Law School
Mr. McLean will present the Keynote Address for the Symposium. Professors Dünkel, Mazzucato, and Wojcik will discuss the topic of “COVID-19 and Criminal Justice: Prison and Pandemic Management,” in a panel moderated by Professor Austin. Professors Capers and Hoag will round out the day with a discussion of “Race and Criminal Justice: Where Do We Go From Here?”
Click here to register for the symposium. It's free.
Hat tips to Hayden McGovern and Francesca Broggini.