Wednesday, July 18, 2018
The International Human Rights Clinic at The John Marshall Law School in Chicago has won the 2017 Elmer Gertz Award from the Illinois State Bar Association. The award will be presented to the Clinic this evening at a ceremony in Chicago.
The Elmer Gertz Award recognizes long-standing, continuing, and exceptional commitment by an individual or an organization to the protection or advancement of Human Rights. It is named for Elmer Gertz, a civil rights attorney and former adjunct professor at The John Marshall Law School. He also was the plaintiff in the landmark defamation case of Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc.
The Illinois State Bar Association established the Elmer Gertz Award in 2000. The award is designed to honor often-unsung heroes of the legal community who have shown a continued commitment to preserve and advance human rights. For many years, the award was jointly presented by the ISBA and the Blind Services Association.
The 2017 recipient of the award is the International Human Rights Clinic at The John Marshall Law School. Pictured here with Blog Editor Mark Wojcik is the Clinic Director, Sarah Dávila-Ruhaak, who will accept the award this evening. The clinic is e a non-profit, non-partisan legal clinic dedicated to the protection of human rights in the United States and around the world. It has advocated for human rights in international and domestic tribunals, provided resources and research on human rights, and engaged in public education and outreach on various human rights issues.
Here is a list of past recipients of the Illinois State Bar Association Gertz Award:
- 2017 - The John Marshall Law School’s International Human Rights Clinic
- 2016 - Cindy Buys, Southern Illinois University Law School
- 2015 - Mary M. McCarthy, executive director, National Immigrant Justice Center
- 2013 - Jody Raphael, DePaul University College of Law
- 2012 - Judge Martha A. Mills, Cook County Circuit Court
- 2009-20011 - Award not given
- 2008 - Prof. Doug Cassel, Notre Dame University School of Law
- 2007 - R. Eugene Pincham, Retired Justice, Illinois Appellate Court
- 2006 - Prof. Michael P. Seng, The John Marshall Law School
- 2005 - Award not given
- 2004 - Fay Clayton, Chicago
- 2003 - Prof. Victor J. Stone, University of Illinois College of Law
- 2002 - Prof. Ralph Ruebner, The John Marshall Law School
- 2001 - Gregory A. Adamski, Chicago
Photo by Karen Cross