Friday, December 30, 2022
Immigration @ AALS 2023
Your executive committee for the AALS section on immigration is looking forward to seeing you all in San Diego in just a few days! Here's a handy post with information about the times and locations of immigration programs.
Wednesday, January 4, 2023: 3-4:40PM. New Voices in Immigration Law. This session will take place in the Marriott Grand Ballroom 6 on the Lobby Level of the North Tower. If you're interested in participating, please just show up. if you've got the time to read papers ahead of the program -- shoot me (Kit) and email and I'll share them with you. We've got an interesting balance of paper topics this year.
- Nermeen Arastu and Qudsiya Naqui, Standing on Our Own Two Feet: Disability Justice as a Frame for Achieving Abolition and Dismantling Our Ableist Immigration System. Principal commentator: Daniel Morales
- Jocelyn B. Cazares, Legalized Removals of Noncitizens Deemed to Have [In]Credible or [Un]Reasonable Fears: The Role of Discretion in the Review Process of Fear Determinations. Principal commentator: Jaya Ramji-Nogales
- Richard H. Frankel, Restoring “Civil”ity in Immigration Proceedings. Principal commentator: Lenni Benson.
- Eunice Lee, Immigration in the Shadow of Death. Principal commentator: Angela Banks
- Talia Peleg, The Dangers of ICE's Unrestrained Rearrest Power. Principal commentator: Shoba Sivaprasad Wadhia
- Carrie Rosenbaum, Arbitrary Arbitrariness Review. Principal commentator: Jayanth K. Krishnan
Thursday, January 5, 2023: 8-9:40AM. Racism in Immigration Regulation. This session will take place in the Mission Hills room on the Third Floor of the South Tower. Our panelists are David Cook-Martín (University of Colorado, Boulder, Sociology), Kevin Johnson (UC Davis School of Law), Emily Ryo (USC Gould School of Law), and Claire Thomas (New York Law School). Ming Hsu Chen (Hastings) will be the moderator.
Thursday, January 5, 2023: 10-11:40AM. Leveraging Service Opportunities to Maximize Student Learning in Immigration Law. This session will take place in the Marriott Grand Ballroom 12 on the Lobby Level of the North Tower. This panel will feature discussion amongst immprofs Kif Augustine-Adams, Lenni Benson, Richard Boswell, and Violeta Chapin, moderated by David Thronson.
Thursday January 5, 2023: 1:15-2:30PM. AALS Awards Ceremony. This session will take place in the San Diego Ballroom on the Lobby Level of the North Tower. Come to cheer on Dean Kevin Johnson as he receives the inaugural Michael A. Olivas Award for Outstanding Leadership in Diversity and Mentoring in the Legal Academy.
Friday January 5, 2023: 8-9:40AM. AALS Hot Topic Program--Biden v. Texas and the Federal-State Battle over Immigration Law. This session will take place in the Marriott Grand Ballroom 9 on the Lobby Level of the North Tower. Full disclosure, I don't know the organizers of this panel but it's bound to be interesting!
We are excited about these programs and hope to see you all there.