Saturday, July 2, 2022
Official White House Photo
It has been said that the hopes and dreams of immigration reform are dead. But, as they say, hope springs eternal.
Liz Peek on The Hill thinks optimistically about how President Biden could "reboot" his presidency through meaningful immigration reform. She calls for:
1. Completing Trump's border wall.
2. Addressing visa overstays through mandatory use of E-Verify.
3. "Ditch the diversity visa program."
4. Create a path to citizenship for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipients.
5. "Give people who are living in the U.S. illegally a one-time chance to attain legal status. "
Peek's punch line:
"Rewriting our dysfunctional and unpopular immigration laws seems like a heavy lift for a president unable to inspire even his own party.
But if Biden can lead Congress to common sense reforms, he might go down as a president who did something right. At this point, that seems like a long shot."