Tuesday, January 11, 2022
I had a few highlights roll in after this was first posted, so here is an updated thread regarding the wonderful things that immigration law professors around the country had to celebrate in 2021. Check out these professional developments.
- Ahilan Arulanantham got his first full-time academic job in 2021: Professor from Practice and Faculty Co-Director at UCLA's Center for Immigration Law & Policy
- Jennifer Chacón joined Berkeley Law. Before leaving UCLA for NorCal, Jennifer was selected by the students as "Professor of the Year" - the faculty speaker for UCLA Law's 2021 graduation!
- César Cuauhtémoc García Hernández lateraled to Ohio State University from Denver.
- Talia Inlender joined UCLA as the Deputy Director of the Center for Immigration Law and Policy.
- Regina Jeffries became a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Center for Law, Diversity and Justice at the Fairhaven College of Interdisciplinary Studies at Western Washington University.
- Faiza Sayed joined the Brooklyn Law School faculty as an Assistant Professor in Sept. 2021. She is teaching the Safe Harbor Project (the school's immigration clinic) as well as Refugee Law.
- David Baluarte (W&L) was promoted to full Clinical Professor of Law. (He received tenure in 2018).
- Ming Hsu Chen (Colorado) was promoted to full professor!
- Lindsay Harris (UDC) received tenure and promotion to full professor
- Elizabeth Keyes (Baltimore) received a faculty vote in support of her promotion to full professor. We look forward to celebrating the official promotion in 2022.
- Richard Middleton (UM-St. Louis, SLU) was promoted from Associate Professor to full professor.
- Natalie Nanasi (SMU) received tenure and was promoted to Associate Professor.
- David Baluarte (W&L) is in his third (and final!) year serving as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- Lindsay Harris (UDC) began serving as Associate Dean of Clinical and Experiential Programs.
- Laila Hlass (Tulane) left her role as Director of Experiential Learning & Public Interest Programs, and she was appointed to a new half-time administrative role as Associate Provost for International Affairs.
- Joe Landau became Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at Fordham.
- Anita Maddali (NIU) became the Assistant Dean of Students
- Hiroshi Motomura became the Faculty Co-Director, along with Ahilan Arulanantham (see above under "New Jobs"), of the new Center for Immigration Law and Policy at the UCLA School of Law. He also received UCLA Law's Rutter Award for Excellence in Teaching!
- Rebecca Robichaud became Wayne State's Director of Clinical Education.
- Rachel Settlage became Wayne State's Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- Jonathan Weinberg, just today!, stepped down from the job of Associate Dean for Faculty Research and Development at Wayne State, returning to the regular faculty.
Unique Moves and News:
- Nora V. Demleitner has left the legal academy. Starting January 1, she will be president of St John’s College, Annapolis.
- Anita Maddali (NIU) graduated with a Master of Divinity from the University of Chicago in June 2021, a three-year program. She was on-leave from NIU for two years, and then the third year (2020-2021), she taught part-time at NIU. In the fall and winter of 2020-2021, she taught remotely and spent the rest of the time providing spiritual care at Northwestern Hospital, as part of the divinity program, and completing a thesis on shame in the context of illness and grief.
- In 2021, the University of Maryland Carey School of Law received a $5 million dollar gift to establish the Chacón Center for Immigrant Justice.
Congratulations to all!