Friday, December 31, 2021
Immigration law professors around the country had a whole lot to celebrate in 2021. Check out these professional developments.
- Ahilan Arulanantham got his first full-time academic job in 2021: Professor from Practice and Faculty Co-Director at UCLA's Center for Immigration Law & Policy
- Jennifer Chacón joined Berkeley Law. Before leaving UCLA for NorCal, Jennifer was selected by the students as "Professor of the Year" - the faculty speaker for UCLA Law's 2021 graduation!
- César Cuauhtémoc García Hernández lateraled to Ohio State University from Denver.
- Talia Inlender joined UCLA as the Deputy Director of the Center for Immigration Law and Policy.
- Faiza Sayed joined the Brooklyn Law School faculty as an Assistant Professor in Sept. 2021. She is teaching the Safe Harbor Project (the school's immigration clinic) as well as Refugee Law.
- David Baluarte (W&L) was promoted to full Clinical Professor of Law. (He received tenure in 2018).
- Lindsay Harris (UDC) received tenure and promotion to full professor
- Elizabeth Keyes (Baltimore) received a faculty vote in support of her promotion to full professor. We look forward to celebrating the official promotion in 2022.
- Richard Middleton (UM-St. Louis, SLU) was promoted from Associate Professor to full professor.
- Natalie Nanasi (SMU) received tenure and was promoted to Associate Professor.
- David Baluarte (W&L) is in his third (and final!) year serving as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- Lindsay Harris (UDC) began serving as Associate Dean of Clinical and Experiential Programs.
- Laila Hlass (Tulane) left her role as Director of Experiential Learning & Public Interest Programs, and she was appointed to a new half-time administrative role as Associate Provost for International Affairs.
- Joe Landau became Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at Fordham.
- Rebecca Robichaud became Wayne State's Director of Clinical Education.
- Rachel Settlage became Wayne State's Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- Jonathan Weinberg, just today!, stepped down from the job of Associate Dean for Faculty Research and Development at Wayne State, returning to the regular faculty.
- Nora V. Demleitner has left the legal academy. Starting January 1, she will be president of St John’s College, Annapolis.
- In 2021, the University of Maryland Carey School of Law received a $5 million dollar gift to establish the Chacón Center for Immigrant Justice.
Congratulations to all! Let's be sure to raise a glass at the AALS immprof social on Friday, January 7.