Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Research and Policy Analyst
The Center for Migration Studies of New York (CMS), an educational institute/think tank devoted to the study of international migration, seeks to hire a full-time research and policy analyst. The position will work closely with CMS’s Executive Director (ED) and Deputy Director and will conduct research and staff a technical support function. The research and policy analyst’s responsibilities will include responding to data requests, generating tabulations and data fact sheets, providing legal and policy research support, representing the agency in relevant stakeholder and working group meetings, and administrative responsibilities.
Among other areas of responsibilities, the research and policy analyst will:
- Conduct research and data collection, statistical demographic analysis, and evaluation and interpretation of results;
- Maintain database of data and statistics related to CMS’s areas of focus for use in reports and dissemination to internal and external stakeholders;
- Participate on advisory teams and respond to CMS’s partners data requests;
- Conduct research on new or existing legislation, regulations, policies, and practices;
- Support the delivery of knowledge and the dissemination of work products, including reports, briefs, blogs, presentations, policy briefings, academic conferences, and others;
- Contribute to the development and design of marketing materials, fact-sheets, infographics, and summaries; and,
- Contribute to the intellectual life and mission of CMS and otherwise assist the ED as necessary.
The candidate should have excellent writing and research skills, interest and experience in quantitative programming, and knowledge of immigration issues. Other qualifications include:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant social science field, JD, or equivalent demonstrable expertise;
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience in research applied to social issues, particularly pertaining to migration in the Americas, through working in academia and/or within research organizations;
- Close attention to detail;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow through on issues in a timely manner;
- Interested in advancing CMS’s mission;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to summarize and synthesize complex information accurately and concisely.
- Experience presenting research results to diverse audiences, including academics, policymakers, and the general public;
- Familiarity with US policies and immigrant groups would be an asset.
- Ability to work cooperatively and supportively with Catholic immigrant-serving institutions.
- Experience working with data from Census Bureau surveys such as the American Community Survey and an understanding of survey sampling and weighting. Familiarity with Census Bureau variables and methodologies is preferred.
- High intermediate to advanced programming proficiency in STATA and an intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with analysis and/or making simple maps on R, Tableau, ArcGIS, or another statistical software is an asset.
The annual salary for this position is $67,500 - $72,500, commensurate with experience. CMS offers excellent benefits, including a generous health insurance plan, dental and vision coverage, and a tax-deferred annuity plan. Proficiency in Spanish and other languages preferred.
The position is full-time and based in New York City. However, some telecommuting is allowed during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please submit a letter of interest by September 30, 2021, with a resume or curriculum vitae and original writing sample to Daniela Alulema, CMS’s Director of Programs, at DAlulema@cmsny.org. Please also indicate your availability.
The position is open until filled and applications are accepted immediately. Due to the high volume of applications, CMS cannot return phone calls about the position, and regrettably, cannot notify all applicants of the status of their applications unless an interview is requested.