Wednesday, February 6, 2019
Career Opportunity: University of California Immigrant Legal Services Center: UC San Diego Staff Attorney Position
Work with University of California Immigrant Legal Services Center attorneys and staff to serve the immigration related needs of UC students and their immediate family members at the University of California at San Diego. Assist the student population in navigating the immigration system and provide legal assistance. Perform review, research, and analysis on immigration issues. Conduct “Know Your Rights” and other informational presentations, as well as campus outreach. Represent clients at administrative proceedings and engage in administrative advocacy.
The Staff Attorney should have experience with general immigration issues, including assessing grounds of inadmissibility and deportability, removal defense, bond hearings, affirmative family-based immigration relief, SIJS, U-Visa, VAWA, adjustment of status, naturalization, and DACA.
The Staff Attorney will serve the population at UC San Diego in La Jolla, California and will be physically based on-campus at UC San Diego. The Staff Attorney is to start as soon as possible.
The Staff Attorney will spend two years (with the possibility of renewal for a third year) at UC San Diego as part of the University of California Immigrant Legal Services Center working directly to serve the immigration needs of UC students and their immediate family members at UC San Diego. The position requires working with partners at UC San Diego Undocumented Student Services (“USS”). This position involves some travel at the beginning of the term to UC Davis School of Law, and to other UC campuses, in addition to quarterly meetings.
Additionally, the position may require some travel to other Southern California UC campuses to meet with attorneys on a semi-regular basis, as well as travel for USCIS interviews.
RESEARCH, ANALYSIS AND LEGAL REPRESENTATION
Perform intakes, conduct research, file applications with USCIS and other immigration agencies, submit FOIA requests, and legal writing. Some representation at immigration removal proceedings may be required, particularly bond proceedings. Keep records of all representation in case management system. Many of the situations will be sensitive and all work performed will be highly confidential. The Staff Attorney will be asked to participate in weekly video meetings with Center legal staff to discuss pending cases and other Center matters.
Supervise and assign tasks to undergraduate legal intern. Attend weekly UC San Diego USS staff meetings and participate in other campus-related events as requested, including Know Your Rights presentations. Assess immigration enforcement issues and work with campus resources when notified of a student or family member being detained. Provide advice regarding border checkpoints and travelling (domestic and international).
Work at a computer for extended periods of time.
• The Staff Attorney will be based at UC San Diego in La Jolla, CA.
• Work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends.
• Position will entail travel to other UC campuses or elsewhere.
• UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (ecigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
• J.D. degree.
• Member of a State Bar
• 3-6 years of practical experience in immigration law practice, including removal defense
with experience in the intersection of criminal and immigration law, affirmative family-based
immigration relief, SIJS, U-Visa, VAWA, naturalization, adjustment of status, and DACA.
• Experience working with low-income communities and immigrants.
• Skills to write clearly, logically, and precisely to draft and create legal documents.
• Knowledge of legal and non-legal electronic databases to sufficiently support preparation of complex documents.
• Ability to work closely with Center staff, clients, program partners, and staff and counsel at ICE and USCIS.
• Experience making presentations to large groups, preferably Know Your Rights
• Ability and desire to work as part of a team.
• Comfortable working remotely with staff, students, and their immediate family members.
• Skills to solicit pertinent information, research multiple sources, and distill large amounts of information.
• Organized, independent, and flexible.
• Verbal and written communication skills to state ideas clearly and concisely, including experience writing complex documents with close attention to detail.
• Valid driver’s license (vehicle not required).
• Proficiency in Spanish.
• Member of the California bar.
• Experience as a UC student or employee.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, with full UC Benefits:
If interested, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line
“UCSD Staff Attorney.” Those who send an email will be invited to submit an application.
UPDATE (Feb. 9): Interested candidates can now apply directly here.