Sunday, August 16, 2015
Photo by Gage Skidmore
Today, presidential hopeful Donald Trump released a policy paper on immigration.
He starts with three "core principles":
1. A nation without borders is not a nation. There must be a wall across the southern border.
2. A nation without laws is not a nation. Laws passed in accordance with our Constitutional system of government must be enforced.
3. A nation that does not serve its own citizens is not a nation. Any immigration plan must improve jobs, wages and security for all Americans.
Those may be his core principles but they are not his only ideas. Trump would like to:
- Make Mexico pay for a wall along our Southern border
- Triple the number of ICE officers
- Have nationwide e-verify
- Return all criminal aliens, without exception
- Make it a crime to commit a crime while in the U.S. without authorization
- Detain, not return, unauthorized aliens
- Defund sanctuary cities
- Enhance penalties for visa overstays
- Increase ICE's working with local drug and gang task forces
- End birthright citizenship
- Increase the prevailing wage for H1Bs
- Require Americans to be hired before H1Bs
- End welfare abuse
- Terminate J1 visa jobs for foreign youth
- Save money from "expensive" refugee programs and put them toward American children
- Take an immigration "pause"
That's a lot to digest on a Sunday morning!