Monday, July 12, 2010
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is seeking a Protection Officer for its Regional Office in Washington, D.C.
TITLE: Protection Officer
CATEGORY / GRADE: National Professional Officer, Grade C (NO-C)
TYPE OF APPOINTMENT: One-year fixed-term with possibility of renewal
OTHER CONDITIONS: In accordance with UNHCR Staff Rules and Regulations, this post is based in Washington, D.C. and is not subject to international rotation. Application is open to both internal and external candidates.
1. Undertake the activities of the Office relating to international refugee protection;
2. Provide advice to United States officials involved in the determination of refugee status;
3. Provide protection to refugees and persons of concern to UNHCR by ensuring the observance of universally recognized principles of refugee law;
4. Monitor protection issues and coordinate with government authorities and NGOs to ensure that UNHCR is fully informed of the situation of refugees in the United States;
5. Monitor legislative developments as they affect refugees and asylum-seekers in the United States and contribute to the development of UNHCR's position in this regard;
6. Provide legal opinions and advice on international refugee law and its relationship to United States asylum law to adjudicators, government officials, and private attorneys;
7. Assist in the dissemination of refugee law with academic institutions, law enforcement officials, immigration and border authorities for effective protection of refugees and asylum-seekers;
8. Liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of ID cards, travel documents and work permits to refugees in order to facilitate movement and local integration;
9. Prepare periodic and annual reports on protection activities within the United States for submission to the head of office and headquarters;
10. Develop and conduct trainings on international refugee and human rights law;
11. Support the Office’s regional protection activities in the Caribbean through assistance with trainings and refugee status determinations;
12. Perform other duties as required.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: Law degree; eight years professional work experience in the field of international refugee law, United States immigration law or a related field. Knowledge of U.S. immigration law and international refugee law required. Excellent knowledge of English required; knowledge of French and/or Spanish desired. United States citizenship required.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 30 July 2010
Send cover letter, resume, and references to:
Senior Administrative Assistant
1775 K Street, NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006
FAX – (202) 296-5660
EMAIL – email@example.com