Thursday, October 17, 2019
Here's an upcoming free webinar from the National Center on Law & Elder Rights on November 12 at 2 est:
Legal Basics: Self-Neglect and Hoarding Disorders
When: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. PT/2:00 p.m. ET.
Lawyers working with older adults are likely to encounter challenges related to self-neglect and hoarding. Intervening in self-neglect cases can be very complicated. Clients who have a hoarding disorder may be living in conditions that make it impossible for them to live in safety, resulting in self-neglecting behaviors. This Legal Basics session will discuss the most common root causes of self-neglect and hoarding disorders, provide insight into the complexity of the issues, and offer suggestions of how to offer help. The webcast will also explore legal issues and the lawyer’s role when working with older adult clients.
The webcast will cover:
- Understanding self-neglect and helping without harming.
- The line between self-neglect being a human services issue and a legal issue.
- Assessing possible hoarding disorder cases.
- Suggestions when working with a person with hoarding disorder.
- When hoarding becomes a legal issue.
This webcast is being presented as part of NCLER’s forthcoming Elder Justice Toolkit. Stay tuned for more!