Thursday, September 28, 2017
Issue summaries are from ScotusBlog, which also links to papers:
- City of Hays, Kansas v. Vogt: Whether the Fifth Amendment is violated when statements are used at a probable cause hearing but not at a criminal trial.
- Collins v. Virginia: Whether the Fourth Amendment's automobile exception permits a police officer, uninvited and without a warrant, to enter private property, approach a house and search a vehicle parked a few feet from the house.
- Byrd v. United States: Expectations of privacy in rental car for someone who is not an authorized driver.
- McCoy v. Louisiana: Whether it is unconstitutional for defense counsel to concede a defendant’s guilt over the defendant’s objection.
- Rosales-Mireles v. United States: Sentencing error case raising question of standard for the court of appeals to correct a plain error.