CrimProf Blog

Editor: Kevin Cole
Univ. of San Diego School of Law

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Need a Gun?. . . Go to Washington State

From Washington is one of the more liberal states in the country when it comes to regulating citizens who want to carry a concealed weapon, experts say. The law, often referred to as a "shall issue" law, requires law-enforcement agencies to issue a concealed-weapons permit to all citizens who meet a specific list of requirements.

To carry a concealed pistol in Washington, applicants must be at least 21 years old, have no outstanding warrants, no felony convictions and no conviction or pending trial or sentence for fourth-degree assault, coercion, stalking, second-degree reckless endangerment, first-degree criminal trespass or violation of a protective order against a family member. The permit covers concealed handguns.

Though some states require that applicants complete training to carry a concealed pistol on themselves or in a car, Washington state has no such regulations. There is a background check, and licenses must be renewed after five years. Rest of Article. . . [Mark Godsey]

Criminal Law | Permalink

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Need a Gun?. . . Go to Washington State:


So what's Washington State's murder rate like compared to states with more restrictive CCL laws, like Texas?

Posted by: Gritsforbreakfast | Oct 13, 2006 8:44:08 AM

Post a comment