Monday, October 25, 2021
Over the weekend, my wife and I upgraded our aging cellphones. It was an ordeal, as it always is, requiring visits to three different stores and then another hour at home transferring files and data from the old phones onto the new. So much for a relaxing Saturday.
The only document I recall signing was a receipt for the phones. The only electronic documents I recall agreeing to were with Apple. I recall no communications from my service provider until this morning, when I retrieved this perky e-mail from my spam filter:
That's right, $7/month, every month, on both phones. No problem, I thought. I'll just go on the website and cancel it. I was able to find the charge fairly quickly, but I couldn't just click on it and cancel. It was clearly identified as an "Add-on" so I deduced that the way to remove it was to go to Manage Add-ons. But on that page, I had a sinking feeling when I noticed that the main question was when I wanted to activate my Add-ons.
Removing Add-ons was not an option, nor was phone insurance listed among the Add-ons that I could "manage." I tried searching "cancel phone insurance" and got no hits on the website.
Eventually, I was able to use the chat function to cancel the insurance. I am going to be generous and only bill them for 1/2 hour of my time.