Monday, January 25, 2021
UC Irvine School of Law: Mysun Foundation Clinical Fellow (Environmental Justice)
Mysun Foundation Clinical Fellow, Environmental Law Clinic in the School of Law: To apply: https://recruit.ap.uci.
The University of California, Irvine School of Law invites applications for the position of Mysun Foundation Clinical Fellow in its Environmental Law Clinic (ELC). The fellowship is designed to provide an attorney who has a strong interest in environmental justice with mentorship, to help the attorney to launch a career in clinical teaching, or serve as a bridge to a career in public interest environmental justice work.
UCI Law enjoys a dynamic clinical program already ranked highly on nationwide surveys. The ELC is one of several core clinics at UC Irvine that meet the School of Law’s clinical requirement. The nature of the ELC’s environmental justice projects varies depending on client need, appropriateness of project for clinical teaching, student and faculty interest, and resource availability, but projects will likely include a mix of advocacy, counseling, and policy matters in multiple fora.
The Mysun Foundation Clinical Fellow will work under the direct supervision of the ELC director. Working with the Director, the Mysun Foundation Clinical Fellow will mentor and work closely with students in the representation of disenfranchised and marginalized communities, and will participate in program development including community lawyering and outreach. The Mysun Foundation Clinical Fellow will also have opportunities for teaching within the ELC, including assisting with the teaching of the ELC seminar.
The Mysun Foundation Clinical Fellow is expected to be a vital part not only of the ELC, but also of the UCI Clinical Law Program, and the law school’s intellectual life more generally. As such, the Mysun Foundation Clinical Fellow will receive mentoring, and can expect support in terms of career development.
Candidates for the position must have:
(1) a J.D. from an A.B.A.-accredited law school;
(2) a strong interest in working on environmental justice issues;
(3) strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, including experience working with people from diverse backgrounds ;
(4) the ability to think imaginatively and critically about approaches to environmental justice problems;
(5) the ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, and administrators;
(6) the ability to work collaboratively with community groups, environmental justice communities, and environmental justice organizations;
(7) a strong work ethic, and demonstrated understanding of the applicable ethical rules; and;
(8) the ability to juggle multiple competing priorities and meet firm deadlines.
Nature of the Appointment
The Mysun Foundation Clinical Fellow will report to the Environmental Law Clinic Director, and work closely ELC students. The position is a full time, twelve-month staff appointment, with the possibility of extension for an additional year, but not to exceed 2 years total.
Salary is up to $80,000/yr. depending on experience. The ELC Fellow will be eligible for UC benefits.
All applicants must submit a cover letter describing their background and specific interest in the Fellowship, a list of three references, an Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement, and a resume or curriculum vitae using UC Irvine’s on-line application system, RECRUIT, located at: https://recruit.ap.uci.
UCI Law is currently working from remotely, and will conduct its interviews remotely.
“The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.”
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to inclusive excellence will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. See our guidance for writing an inclusive excellence activities statement.
- Complete Law School Transcript
- Writing Sample
- Cover Letter/Statement of Interest in Environmental Justice Issues and this Fellowship
- 3 required (contact information only)
To apply: UC Irvine’s on-line application system, RECRUIT, located at: https://recruit.ap.uci.