Tuesday, March 17, 2020
Like all of us, the past few weeks have been hard. The past few days, harder. Still, I am fortunate that my challenges are nothing compared to so many. My family and I are healthy so far; my job is challenging, but not currently threatened; and the people I love are, generally, safe. I am truly fortunate.
Complaining about courts messing up LLCs is not at the top of my mind right now, even though it remains both satisfying and important to me. Today, all I have are some thoughts. That all I’ve got, and it will have to be good enough.
So, here are some things I think:
- It was right to cancel March Madness, and it still makes me sad.
- Other than being a father and a spouse, I have the most important job I have ever had.
- I love our students. Every day.
- My family is the best and far more than I deserve.
- Women are widely over scrutinized, over worked, and underappreciated.
- I am proud to be a lawyer.
- Lawyers lawyering everything is exhausting, and too often, wrong (i.e., bad lawyering)
- I hate racism, and I need to work harder to be anti-racist.
- Babies are the best.
- Sometimes, it is better to be happy than to be right.
- I’m proud to be Irish.
- Law school rankings suck.
- Online teaching and learning is more work than a lot of people think.
- We all need to give each other a break.
- We can have high expectations and still be compassionate and forgiving.
I think a lot more things, but it’s time to pay attention to my family. There is no question I am the weak link in this group, and they deserve more. I guess that’s one more thing I think. Be well, friends.