Sunday, November 12, 2023
This position will provide support to law students (day and evening), beginning in their first year, on study skills, critical and analytical thinking, exam strategies, time management techniques, and prepares students and graduates for the bar exam. The Specialist will conduct workshops as well as review and provide critical and constructive feedback on exercises and practice exams. The Specialist will also spend a significant time providing academic advising and counseling with a diverse range of students.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Academic Achievement Team to develop the curriculum for the lL Expert Learning courses
- Collaborate with the Academic Achievement Team to develop the curriculum for the bar preparation courses
- Work directly with recent graduates in the bar preparation program
- Counsel and assist law students and graduates on law school and bar exam success. Many of our students are from diverse backgrounds and are first generation law students
- Review and provide meaningful feedback on practice exams and other formative assessment exercises submitted by law students and graduates
- Stay abreast and regularly update the deans and faculty of best practices and trends in law school academic support and bar preparation programs
- Communicate and coordinate with and stay abreast of the recent trends in commercial bar review programs
- Plan, assign and review work of staff to ensure that group objectives are met
- Hire, train, develop and manage staff to ensure that a qualified staff exists to meet group objectives
- Cross train the Academic Achievement Team on best practices for reviewing assessment results
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned
- A J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school is required.
- Admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment; strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Works collaboratively with members of a professional team
- Excellent and patient listener
- Interacts with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Diagnoses student challenges with a holistic approach
- Familiarity with psychological barriers that affect student performance;
- Optimistic and positive outlook
- Creative and innovative problem solver
- Effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills
- Manage time efficiently to handle multiple tasks
- Strong technology skills in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
For fullest consideration, apply online https://jobs.uic.edu by the listed closing date. Include (upload) a .pdf copy of your letter of intent, current CV/resume, and the names of 3 references.