Friday, October 27, 2023
THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY J. DAVID ROSENBERG COLLEGE OF LAW invites applications for the position of Director of Academic Enhancement and Bar Success Program. The positon is a full-time, 12-month, non-tenure-track faculty position. Depending on experience, a successful candidate will be hired as an Assistant or Associate Clinical Professor in the Clinical Title Series.
Qualified candidates must have a J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school and have successfully passed a bar exam in a U.S. jurisdiction. In addition, at least four years of law practice experience or teaching experience (or a combination) is required. Supervisory or managerial experience is preferred. Required knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position include:
• Excellent communication, writing, and analytical skills
• A commitment to developing inclusive teaching practices that engage students from diverse backgrounds.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with a range of constituencies.
• A recognition of the need to properly protect and disseminate confidential and sensitive information.
• Proficiency in program planning, implementation, and assessment skills, including compiling and analyzing data for statistical analysis.
Essential functions of the position include:
• Administer a program of academic excellence and support benefittng all law students, especially those students in their first and second year of study, building off our current successful programming.
• Facilitate workshops in the fall and spring semesters for 1L students.
• Advising and coaching students on an individual basis
• Work closely with other faculty members to provide comprehensive instruction and support including assisting the Assistant Dean of Student Services with 1L Orientation.
• Design and teach courses that introduce, reinforce, and develop analytical, reasoning, writing, and other critical skills to enable students to be successful in all years of law school and beyond.
• Advise faculty on topics such as providing helpful feedback, academic advising, bar coaching, and integration of skills and learning strategies into academic coursework and co-curricular efforts.
• Oversee the Bar Support Program including developing and teaching the bar success courses, supervising additional bar success course instructors as needed to ensure sufficient coverage; coach and support individual students during bar preparation leading up to the exams; design and implement a workshop series for all law students on topics related to the bar, including preparing for the UBE, an overview of the application process/informational session with the Kentucky Office of Bar Examiners and bar skills workshops on the MPRE, MPT, MEE, MBE , and NextGen bar exam.
• Oversee the relevant program budget(s).
• In addition, other duties consistent with the overall goals of the Law School, including, but not limited to, serving on law school committees, and teaching other legal writing and/or skills courses that support the law school curriculum, as needed.
To receive consideration for this position, applicants must apply through the University of Kentucky’s Integrated Employment System at [htps://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/487516] where they can submit a leter of application and resume. Please send any questions to Faculty Appointments Commitee Chair Associate Dean Jennifer Bird-Pollan, [email protected], or by mail at the University of Kentucky Rosenberg College of Law, 620 South Limestone St., Lexington, KY 40506-0048.
The University of Kentucky provides a range of employee benefits to its faculty. There are several healthcare plans available. Faculty are also eligible to participate in the University's retirement plan. Essentially, the University will deduct five percent of your salary and contribute it to the plan of your choice (among several investment alternatives), and the University contributes an additional ten percent to the plan. Several other insurance policies are available to faculty members. We can help you obtain further information on these benefits from Human Resources, or you can go to their website for additional information (htps://hr.uky.edu/employment/working-uk/our-benefits).
The University of Kentucky is an Equal Opportunity University that values diversity and inclusion. Individuals with disabilities, individuals from minoritized populations, veterans, women, and members of other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.