Friday, September 10, 2021
SOUTHWESTERN LAW SCHOOL
ACADEMIC SUCCESS AND BAR PREPARATION
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF LAW
Southwestern Law School invites applicants for an associate professor position for administration, counseling and teaching in the Academic Success and Bar Preparation Office to commence July 1, 2022. In this position, the chosen applicant will work closely with Assistant Dean for Academic Success, Natalie Rodriguez and other members of the department in the creation, administration, implementation and teaching of programs and courses as part of the academic support and bar preparation course curriculum.
Duties and responsibilities may include but are not limited to any of the following:
-Working with the Faculty of Academic Success and Bar Preparation Office to research, design, implement and manage academic and bar support programs, including pre-matriculation programs, first-year programs and pre and post-graduation bar preparation programs
-Teaching in the academic and bar support programs and courses
-Meeting with students individually and in small groups regarding academic and bar performance issues. This includes identifying and/or creating additional materials that would support a student’s individualized academic or bar improvement plan.
-Supervising student teaching and research assistants
-Assisting with additional services to enhance the academic and bar success of students
-Identify additional opportunities to support or enhance the Office’s offerings and/or developing materials
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- Bar admission, admission to the California Bar or a UBE jurisdiction preferred
- Experience in academic support and bar preparation preferred. Other teaching experience such as legal writing instruction will be considered
- Ability to work with a variety of people from diverse backgrounds, including students, staff and faculty
- Ability to counsel, critique and guide students to self-improvement through a professional, rigorous, respectful, supportive and reliable commitment to them, including creating individualized materials
- Ability to work as part of a collaborative team of faculty in the Academic Success and Bar Preparation Office while having the ability to be a self-starter and self-manage individual work product
- Availability to teach and/or meet with students in the evening and occasional weekend, especially during bar preparation seasons
- Imagination, innovation and desire to grow into responsibilities in areas of mutual interest and need
- Understanding of, and ability to work for, the mission and goals of Southwestern Law School
- Professionalism and ability to work with confidential information
This is a full-time, year-round position with faculty voting rights. The salary is competitive. The successful applicant will also receive a competitive benefits package provided by Southwestern Law School.
Applicants should submit the following:
- Cover letter describing (a) prior teaching experience; (b) other relevant experience; and (c) aspirations for future legal education work
- Contact information for three professional references
Applications should be addressed to Senior Associate Dean Doreen Heyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin in mid-September. Initial interviews will be held via Zoom, although we anticipate that finalist interviews will be held in person.