Friday, April 16, 2021
The Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law is conducting a national search for its next Student Support Specialist - Associate Director of Academic and Bar Success
Essential job duties include the following:
- Reporting to the Director of Academic and Bar Success, the Associate Director will assist in designing and implementing McKinney’s academic and bar support initiatives in order to provide a comprehensive and meaningful academic experience for law students.
- Create content for and lead a comprehensive 1L workshop program focusing on the development of academic skills such as case synthesis, outlining, legal analysis, critical reading, and exam preparation. Workshop series includes online modules. Development of online modules will implement best practices of online education.
- Provide individual assistance and counseling, including regularly scheduled meetings, with students in academic difficulty and at-risk students. Develop and monitor academic plans and recovery plans for individual students. Review and provide critical and constructive feedback on exercises and practice exams. Advise at-risk students on course selection.
- Meet with and counsel students on their academic skills development; develop and oversee the execution of individualized learning plans; and provide one-on-one assistance for at-risk students.
- Track student success and academic performance for students in academic difficulty and at-risk students. Utilize Canvas e-learning management system to help develop student skills and track student progress.
- Serve as the primary manager of the Dean’s Tutorial Society (DTS), including hiring, training, and managing peer tutors, developing and revising skills lessons for peer tutors to utilize with 1L small groups, and developing and revising training materials and handbook for tutors.
- Assist with supplemental bar prep program, including conducting practice exam sessions, assisting with skills and strategies workshops, and providing critical and constructive feedback on essays and MPTs.
- Assist with collection and organization of data for long-term assessment of: (a) student participation in Academic and Bar Success programming and course offerings, (b) individual student academic and bar exam performance, and (c) McKinney School of Law retention and bar passage rates.
Qualified candidates should have a Juris Doctor degree along with one to three years of related professional experience, preferably post-law school experience or higher education experience; current or previous admission to a state bar in the United States, preferably Indiana or a UBE jurisdiction; teaching, advising, tutoring, counseling, or related experience preferred.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position include strong legal writing, research, and analysis skills, strong communication and public speaking skills, ability to build rapport with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff, commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive community, and ability to identify methods to enhance learning for multiple learning styles.
Review of materials will begin immediately and will continue until the appointment is made. All applications must be submitted online prior to May 8, 2021. For a description of the position and to apply for posting #293524, please visit https://jobs.iu.edu.
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status.