Wednesday, August 26, 2015
Maurice A. Deane School of Law
Director of the Academic Success Program
The Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University invites applicants for the position of Director of the Academic Success Program. The Academic Success Program assists J.D. and LL.M. students in the development of the critical skills necessary to succeed in law school, on the Bar Exam, and in practice. The successful candidate will report to the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and will design and implement all aspects of the Law School’s established Academic Success Program including:
(1) Teaching first-year and upper-level classes and workshops for students;
(2) Assisting in planning and implementing first-year orientation programs;
(3) Providing individual writing assistance and counseling;
(4) Identifying and assisting students who need additional academic support;
(5) Coordinating bar exam preparation programs and events;
(6) Developing and implementing new services to enhance our students’ academic performance;
(7) Compiling and presenting bar exam data and maintaining departmental database;
(8) Special projects as requested by the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
Applicants must have the following: a J.D.; a strong academic record; a background demonstrating a potential for excellence in academic support; an understanding of developments in legal pedagogy; strong organizational and interpersonal skills; the ability to work collegially with faculty and administrators to coordinate delivery of services and programs to students who are academically at risk; and excellent writing and speaking skills. The following are not required but would substantially enhance an application: experience in law school academic support programs or other relevant teaching experience (including experience as a teaching assistant during law school); and/or an advanced degree in education, psychology, counseling, or a related field. Law practice experience without teaching experience will generally not be sufficient. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Some evening hours are part of this position.
For consideration, please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to Maria Filotti, Senior Assistant to the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, at LawSchoolJobs@hofstra.edu. Please include “Director of the Academic Success Program” in the subject line.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.