Thursday, January 1, 2009
What's Coming in 2009
The New Year delivers a variety of interesting cases and issues in the white collar crime field, and many unresolved issues from last year. What can we expect to see (in no particular order):
- confirmation hearing on Eric Holder
- a new Attorney General with new policies and procedures
- Madoff - investigation, prosecution (perhaps a plea), sentencing?
- Blagojevich - will he be indicted and will it hold up?
- Jeff Skilling - a judicial opinion
- a re-evaluation of the merits of corporate criminal liability
- an SEC with increased regulatory power
- fraud as a new criminal law emphasis
- more judges sentencing outside the confines of the sentencing guidelines
Obviously, there will be plenty more. But I am confident that white collar crime will have a key focus in the upcoming year. So stay tuned to this blog. Your readership is appreciated and I wish everyone a happy, healthy, and peaceful new year.