Thursday, June 29, 2006
Former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman was found guilty of 6 of the 32 charges against him (see Birmingham Alabama News here). These included some of the counts for bribery, conspiracy, mail fraud, and obstruction of justice.
Former HealthSouth CEO Richard Scrushy were found guilty today of all of the bribery, conspiracy and mail fraud counts brought against him.
Acquitted were Paul Hamrick, former Governor's Chief of Staff, and Mack Roberts, former head of the Alabama Department of Transportation.
The jury was out 11 days before bringing back these verdicts.
For background on this case, see some prior blog posts here:
- Scrushy and Former Alabama Governor Siegelman Indicted on Bribery Charges (here)
- Round Two of the Scrushy Prosecution (here)
- Jury Selection Begins in Corruption Trial of Scrushy and Former Gov. Siegelman (here)
- Scrushy & Siegelman Trial Open Today (here)
- Corruption Prosecution of Scrushy and Siegelman Goes to the Jury (here)