Sunday, September 11, 2005
In contrast to the government response in handling the Katrina disaster, the preparations in place for handling the Katrina frauds are extensive. Attorney General Gonzales in a press release here describes the Hurricane Katrina Fraud Task Force that has been established with Assistant Attorney General Alice S. Fisher of the Criminal Division as its chair. Some of the frauds that the government will be looking to proceed against are "fraudulent charities," "identity theft," "insurance fraud," and "government benefit fraud." The government response to Katrina frauds is detailed on the front page of the Department of the Justice here.
For government press releases related to fraud, from both the state federal authorities, check out the Center for Economic Crimes, Fraud Update (here). It is sponsored by Florida State University's School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, along with St. Thomas University School of Law.
(esp)(w/ thanks to Alfredo Garcia for alerting us to this site).
Either September so far has been an unusually high month for tax and environmental prosecutions, or the DOJ has decided to specifically report these prosecutions this month. For tax offenses, the DOJ this month has the following press releases:
- #469: 09-09-05 SELF-PROCLAIMED “TAX LAW SPECIALIST” IN OHIO IS SENTENCED TO 70 MONTHS IN PRISON
- #465: 09-08-05 FIVE DEFENDANTS CONVICTED OF TAX CRIMES IN CONNECTION WITH PROMOTION OF ABUSIVE TRUST SCHEME
- #463: 09-08-05 GRAND JURY INDICTS “SURVIVOR” WINNER RICHARD HATCH ON CHARGES OF TAX EVASION AND DEFRAUDING CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTORS
- #460: 09-08-05 LAS VEGAS TAX-RETURN PREPARER ARRESTED
- #457: 09-06-05 FEDERAL COURT BARS NORTH CAROLINA MAN FROM PREPARING TAX RETURNS FOR OTHERS
In the environmental area, the following press releases were issued:
- #458: 09-07-05 DIVISION OF MCWANE, INC. SENTENCED TO $4.25 MILLION IN CRIMINAL FINES & COMMUNITY SERVICE RELATED TO WORKER SAFETY, ENVIRONMENTAL CRIME
- #449: 09-01-05 FACT SHEET: CLEAN AIR ACT SETTLEMENT WITH CARGILL, INC.
- #448: 09-01-05 FEDERAL, MULTI-STATE CLEAN AIR ACT SETTLEMENT WITH CARGILL, INC. SECURES MAJOR POLLUTION REDUCTIONS