January 1, 2005
As We Enter 2005 -What to Expect
2005 may be another year with white collar issues in the news. CNN notes some of what to expect in 2005 in an article titled, "The Return of the $6,000 Shower Curtain." Some of the things they include, as well as others to expect this year are:
1. First up is the trial of Richard Scrushy that starts in early January.
2. Oral argument in Martha Stewart's case, and perhaps a decision from the Second Circuit. Martha Stewart will finish serving her sentence and the question will be what role will she play in helping with reforms for women in prison.
3. The Arthur Andersen LLP. Petition for Certiorari before the Supreme Court will be accepted or denied.
4. "Ex-WorldCom CEO Bernard Ebbers Jr. will face charges in New York federal court. . ." (CNN)
5. "Tyco International honchos Dennis Kozlowski and Mark Swartz are due to answer for the second time [on] criminal changes . . ." (CNN)
6. And yes, maybe some movement on cases involving Enron related individuals, like Ken Lay.
And a lot more. . .
Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and peaceful new year!