Thursday, April 12, 2018
27-year-old Ekaterina Fedyaeva underwent routine surgery at a hospital in Ulyanovsk, Russia when hospital staff inadvertently hooked her up to a formalin drip instead of the intended saline drip. Formalin drips contain formaldehyde, which is a chemical used in many ordinary household items, though it is most commonly known for its use in preventing corpse decay. While useful in a deceased body, the chemical wreaks havoc on the living. Galina Baryshnikova, Fedyaeva’s mother and witness to the after-effects of the improper drug administration, said the chemical “was simply eroding her body from inside. Her legs were moving, she had convulsions, her whole body was shaking.” Fedyaeva was eventually transferred to a Moscow hospital where she passed away.
See Michael Bartiromo, Russian Woman Dies After Given Formaldehyde Instead of Saline Drip, Fox News, April 11, 2018.