Friday, August 29, 2014
The ABA Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law is presenting an eCLE series entitled, Domestic Asset Protection Trust Planning: Jurisdiction Selection Series. The series includes five webinars, each focusing on asset protection laws in a group of states. The first of the series is Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. CT. Here is why you should attend:
There's No Place Like Home - Domestic Self-Settled Asset Protection Trusts and Inter Vivos QTIP Trusts: Why Do Them and Where To Go When You Do
Effective July 1, 2014, Mississippi became the 15th state to permit the creation of full blown self-settled asset protection trusts. Besides the 15, at least 10 other states allow some form of an asset protection trust, including inter vivos QTIP trusts. The proliferation of domestic asset protection trusts leaves attorneys inquiring about the laws in each asset protection state and the benefits of creating such a trust in one state versus another. Other frequently asked questions include:
- What is an inter vivos QTIP trust and how can it help my clients?
- Will domestic self-settled asset protection trusts benefit my clients?
- Do the costs of creating a trust in one state for creditor protection or taxation benefits really outweigh the creation of such a trust in another?
- Is the trust really protected from creditors?
- Can the trust be used to avoid the income tax in the grantor's state of residence?
- Can a same sex couple benefit from the use of these trusts?
- Is using an offshore trust better?
These are just some of the questions that will be answered over the course of five eCLE webinars addressing some of the full blown domestic self-settled asset protection trust statutes and inter vivos QTIP trust statutes.
Delaware, Ohio, Mississippi, North Carolina
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Speakers: Michael Gordon, J. Aaron Byrd, Michael Stegman, Gray Edmondson, and Scott “Rust” Trippett
Florida, Texas, Tennessee
Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Speakers: Jonathan Gopman, Michael Sneeringer, Elizabeth Morgan, Rick Travis, and Wick Ruling
Alaska, South Carolina, Wyoming, Oklahoma
Tuesday, February 10, 2015
Speakers: Brandon Cintula, Doug Blattmachr, Dan Collins, Greg Dyekman, and Rod Yancy
Arizona, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire
Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Speakers: Philip R. Rupprecht, Fred Franke, Julia Gold, and Todd Mayo
South Dakota, Utah, Kentucky
Tuesday, June 9, 2015
Speakers: Al King, Rust Tippett, Mary Beth Anderson, and Walter Morris