Thursday, May 8, 2014
- Social Security disability payments are from a separate program then other SS benefits
- Minor children may be eligible for survivor benefits when a parent dies
- There are unique restrictions for public sector employees
- A divorced spouse may be eligible for survivor benefits as well
- The survivor benefits for a spouse depend on when the deceased spouse and the surviving spouse claim SS benefits.
- Social Security taxes are not indexed for inflation
See Stephen Williams, 6 Steps to Maximizing Social Security Benefits,MarketWatch, May 1, 2014.