Friday, April 25, 2014
Consumer Reports posted a few tips for people hoping to avoid estate battles. They have also posted a guide with advice on how to create a bullet -proof estate plan. Below are a few strategies highlighted in the article.
- Make sure you plan well for your "non-titled property" which is often the crux of estate battles.
- Make sure you update your estate plan.
- Make a list of who gets what
- Choose a distribution method that has transparency so everyone knows that your wishes are carried out.
- Determine the process for conflict resolution.
See How to Spare Your Heirs a Battle Over Your Estate, Consumer Reports, Apr. 20, 2014.