Monday, February 17, 2014
The American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education (ALI CLE) is sponsoring a telephone seminar and audio webcast entitled, Community Property Issues in Estate Planning, on Thursday, February 27, 2014. Provided below is a description of the event:
Community property can arise by operation of law or by agreement. Do you know how community property laws operate in the context of estate planning and administration? Attend this program to hear estate planners from community property states provide insights into how community property laws affect estate planning, not only in community property states, but also in common law states. Learn how to minimize potential liabilities and maximize benefits for your clients.
Topics to be discussed include:
- preserving community property status of assets when a couple migrates to a common law state
- avoiding the inadvertent creation of community property
- identifying and avoiding estate tax inclusion problems when funding irrevocable trusts
- different treatment of community property upon divorce and death among the states
- issues around management of community property and creditors’ access to separate and community property
- and more!