Sunday, December 22, 2013
Here’s a list of the top ten dumbest things people have done after winning the lottery:
- Asking someone else to claim the prize. Jose Antonio Cua-Toc was staying illegally in the United States and asked his boss to get the money for him. Surprisingly, the boss kept the money.
- Trashing the ticket. Joseph and Joanne Zagami accidentally threw away their $1 million winning scratch-off. Luckily, they remembered it and dug it back out.
- Forgetting the ticket. Ron Yurcus left his winning ticket lying on his desk for three months before remembering to check the numbers.
- Assisting auto theft. John Ross, Jr., announced that the first thing he would buy after winning $2 million was a new car. Three months later he was caught helping to hide and repair a stolen car.
- Winning while too young. 16-year-old Callie Rogers won $3 million in the English lottery and immediately spent it on breast implants, several houses, and drugs. She is now broke and suicidal.
- Drug abuse. Willie Hurt won over $3 million and soon became addicted to crack cocaine.
- Gambling. Evelyn Adams won the New Jersey lottery twice in succeeding years. She gambled away most of her $5.4 million in Atlantic City.
- Backyard demolition derbies. Deemed the “lotto lout,” Michael Carroll spent his $15 million on demolition derbies in his own backyard as well as drugs and women. He says that he regrets the drugs but not the women.
- Having your winning ticket stolen. Etta May Urquhart is suing her son for fraud and abuse after entrusting him to claim the $51 million jackpot for her.
- Strip club stupidity. Jack Whittaker won $315 million and then had $545,000 of it stolen at a strip club.
See Sammy Said, 10 Stupid Things People Have Done After Winning the Jackpot, The Richest, Nov. 10, 2013.
Special thanks to David S. Luber (Florida Probate Attorney) for bringing this article to my attention.