Sunday, December 22, 2013
Even minor changes in circumstances can impact an estate plan. In performing an annual evaluation, consider the following:
- Did you recently move? (new house, city, or state)
- Have you purchased or sold real estate or other property?
- Did a loved one pass away?
- Has your health deteriorated substantially since the creation of your estate plan?
- Have you had any children since your will was last executed?
- Have you recently been married?
- Have any of your children become recently married?
- Have you become a grandparent recently?
- Has contention developed between you and a loved one? Specifically, persons you named as executors or beneficiaries?
See Vidhya Babu, Does Your Estate Plan Need a Makeover?, JDSupra Business Advisor, Dec. 6, 2013.
Special thanks to Jim Hillhouse (Professional Legal Marketing (PLM, Inc.)) for bringing this article to my attention.