Wednesday, October 30, 2013
The American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law is offering a CLE program entitled, Connecting With Donors: Practical Pointers on Charitable Contributions at Year- End 2013, on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:00 -2:30 pm ET. Provided below is a description of the event:
This down-to-earth program will help you "connect" with your clients by giving them sound advice on lifetime charitable contributions. Designed for those who are not specialists in the income tax aspects of philanthropy, the presentation offers a broad overview of considerations and vehicles for charitable giving - from discerning the donor's intent to evaluating a gift agreement, from simple gifts of long-term appreciated stock to complex vehicles such as charitable remainder trusts.
Practical pointers include timely advice on:
- Impact of the new 3.8% surtax on choice of asset and charitable vehicle;
- Fundamentals of the income tax charitable deduction;
- Substantiation of the income tax charitable deduction, including appraisals;
- Gifts of property, whether stock, real estate or art;
- Matching assets with the appropriate charitable recipient; and
- The role of community foundations.