Friday, September 20, 2013
As I have previously discussed, heiress, Huguette Clark, died Tuesday, May 24, at the age of 104. Clark was the daughter of William Andrews Clark, a business man who had made a fortune in mining. Clark’s will was filed with a Manhattan court, allowing the world to see where Clark’s estimated $300 million estate will go.
Jury selection started September 17, however, an hour after the process had begun Judge Anderson stopped the selection. The jury selection was delayed so that the judge could decide whether the largest beneficiary of the will could be represented in court. This time also provided the two sides the opportunity to settle the case. Attorneys said the two sides were close, but unable to reach an agreement. Despite the fact that the parties have not been able to settle, a settlement is still a possibility through the rest of trial. The judge had postponed the jury selection by two days. Potential jurors were told that the trial could last between six and eight weeks.
See Bill Dedman Jury Selection Starts, Then Stops in Huguette Clark Estate Trial, NBC News, Sep.19, 2013.
Special thanks to David S. Luber (Attorney at law, Florida Probate Attorney Wills and Estates Law Firm) for bringing this article to my attention.