Friday, August 30, 2013
Recently, Accounting Today conducted a survey of investment advisors that revealed the top ten errors made by investors. Investing can be very tricky so avoiding these issues may save an investment portfolio.
- Not thinking strategically about short term v. long term gains
- Holding foreign stock investments in tax-qualified accounts
- Keeping gold and silver in a taxable account
- Selling appreciated securities by elderly investors
- Non-business related income in tax qualified accounts
- Not checking the local tax laws
- Not taking into account a Roth in an IRA conversion
- Not taking advantage of capital gains
- Failing to calculate the cost basis for MLP's
- Failing to keep up with pension plan obligations
See John Burke and Steven Criscuolo Top 10 Mistakes Made by Investors, Accounting Today, Aug. 21, 2013.
Special thanks to Brian Cohan (Attorney at Law, Law Offices of Brian J. Cohan, P.C.) for bringing this article to my attention.