Monday, July 1, 2013
After several years working in palliative care, an Australian nurse compiled a list of the biggest regrets felt by those at the end of their life. The top five regrets are:
- I wish I had lived the life I wanted to live, not the life others expected.
- I wish I didn’t work so hard.
- I wish I’d expressed my true feelings.
- I wish I would have stayed in touch with friends.
- I wish I would have allowed myself to be happier.
See Susie Steiner, Top Five Regrets of the Dying, The Guardian, Feb. 1, 2012.
Special thanks to Joel Dobris (Professor of Law, UC Davis School of Law) for bringing this article to my attention.