February 14, 2013
Tax Panel On Conservation Easements
Strafford Webinars & Teleconferences will host a live 110-minute CLE/CPE teleconference with interactive Q&A entitled, Tax Planning With Conservation Easements on March 7, 2013 from 1:00-2:50 EST. If a person registers by tomorrow, there is $50 discount on the registration fee. Provided below is a description of the event.
This teleconference will explain the tax advantages and potential tax treatment of conservation easements. The panel will discuss recent case law developments, how to structure easements to avoid IRS challenges, and how to pair conservation easements with the historic tax credit.
Conservation easements granted in perpetuity as a charitable donation can provide donors with significant income, estate and property tax planning opportunities if structured properly.
The charitable contribution deduction for conservation easements has been under heightened IRS scrutiny in recent years. The IRS has frequently challenged the valuation of the easement, and also attacked other deficiencies in structuring transactions. Several critical tax court cases were decided in 2012.
Moreover, the 3rd Circuit’s Historic Boardwalk Hall ruling regarding a historic tax credit transaction could also have a significant impact on existing and planned tax credit structures for conservation easement transactions.
Listen as our authoritative panel of practitioners reviews tax planning opportunities with conservation easements and recent IRS scrutiny of the charitable donation. The panel will explain how to structure easements to avoid IRS challenges and pair conservation easements with the historic tax credit.
- Tax planning opportunities with conservation easements
- Potential IRS challenges to the charitable donation of conservation easements
- Recent case law developments
- Structuring easements to avoid IRS challenges
- Pairing conservation easements with the historic tax credit
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are common IRS challenges to conservation easement donations?
- What lessons does recent case law provide on elements practitioners should consider when structuring conservation easements to minimize challenges by the IRS?
- What is the potential impact of the Historic Boardwalk Hall ruling on existing and planned tax credit structures for conservation easement transactions?
- How can conservation easements be paired or combined with the historic tax credit?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Upon completing this seminar, you will understand the tax advantages and potential tax treatment of conservation easements, how to structure easements to avoid IRS challenges, and how to pair conservation easements with the historic tax credit.
Special Thanks to Alice McCarthy for bringing this article to my attention.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Tax Panel On Conservation Easements: